lenny bruce documentary streaming

I just wished he wore a cleaner suit. An homage to Lenny. As it is it was a deluge of tasteless self-indulgent tripe. I was very disappointed in this documentary, Reviewed in the United States on March 12, 2018. I was watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" and saw him as a recurring character. IT HAS EVERYTHING!!!! Select the department you want to search in. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if one of those exists at the moment. For me, this is ideal. There's a problem loading this menu right now. To the extent, the doc proved that out then bravo. Majority of the time is focused on the evolution of show business AFTER Lenny's untimely death. This film is essential on so many levels, the directing, the acting, the cinematography, the editing, the comedy history, the story, the script, it HAS IT ALL!!! Video availability outside of United States varies. the documentary was good. Elan Gale's doc here is almost a spot on Luke, a spot on Lenny. Reviewed in the United States on January 23, 2016. The filmmaker just sets the camera up, so to speak, and lets us watch Bruce perform. Moreover, Hoffman's delivery makes it clear he's machine gunning the dialogue instead of truly understanding it. Reviewed in the United States on May 29, 2019. Hoffman melts into the role and I only see Lenny. This isn't a slick documentary, but that's not the point. Despite his flaws and shortcomings Lenny Bruce was a true pioneer of comedy and many comedians followed in the path he cut. The sound quality on the movie with my Roku was poor as well, could be my slower internet connection, but closed captions helped a little. More of a tragic character. Also, to not once mention his wife Honey who played such a crucial role in not only his life, but his observations on sex & relationships, seemed strange. The 70s were stuffed were movies celebrating self destructive celebrities. After getting his start as a conventional stand-up comic, Bruce's increasingly iconoclastic act transformed him into a leading figure of the 1960s counterculture. Reviewed in the United States on May 16, 2019. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 16, 2016. Select the department you want to search in. It exposed Lenny for what he was. Or he'd never have stuck himself with needles. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Directed by Bob Fosse. Photo booklet that comes with this Blu-Ray/DVD combo makes this worth the price, Reviewed in the United States on August 2, 2020. Fred was Lenny's friend and was plowing new ground in documentary film making. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Reviewed in the United States on May 18, 2018. This is an interesting documentary, but it feels like a very brief introduction to Lenny Bruce himself. Perhaps worryingly, even though one would like to think that times have moved on substantially in the intervening period, some of Fosse, writer Julian Barry and Bruce’s own observations on the hypocrisy of authority figures (politicians, police, church, judiciary), particularly relating to sexual matters, appear to be just as relevant over half a century later! We're allowed here to see Lenny Bruce from different angles, bare. I suppose that if I was of age back in 1959 I'd of gone to see him. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Reviewed in the United States on March 4, 2019. But despite this it is still a great film. I was very disappointed in this documentary. Lenny was a disrupter, an original, and literally set the stage for those who came after (Richard Prior, George Carlin). Back in circulation due to Bob Fossie's recent rise, I maintain a discriminating admiration for Bruce. He was a pig. Sign in to see videos available to you. Reviewed in the United States on September 1, 2020. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. So glad I had the opportunity to see this. The main reason is for the 188-page booklet that is part of the deal, chock full of photos from the careers of Fosse, Hoffman and Valerie Perrine up until 1974. dgp, Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Watch this if you love comedy, free speech and getting more than you asked for in a doc. Directed by Robert B. Weide. Perrine makes this watchable even in her diminished role. The outrageous, groundbreaking comic whose iconoclastic material in a conservative era got him into tragic trouble is here profiled by a close friend who prefers to remember the laughs Lenny Bruce's memory evokes. With Robert De Niro, Steve Allen, Honey Bruce Friedman, Kitty Bruce. If you want to learn about Lenny Bruce this is not the documentary for you. And it did it in context. His great visual eye is well showcased here. Lenny wright history and Dustin show it! He grew up a few miles from me, I'm not proud to say, then again, I'm proud to say, for his attempt to open up free speech. I watched a big chunk of the show waiting for him to be funny. A brilliant film. Assuming I am speaking to people who actually like this Bob Fosse-directed biography of shock-comic Lenny Bruce (such as myself), and find Dustin Hoffman's impersonation acceptable, those who missed out on the now OOP Twilight Time Blu-ray release have this option. Reviewed in the United States on October 7, 2015. Even in this 72-minute documentary it's at a premium, although it does feature some of his best routines, including his two appearances on the Steve Allen Show, an extract from his busted TV pilot and a horrifyingly depressing interview shortly before his death with Nat Hentoff when he's clearly stoned out of his skull, slurring his speech and generally acting like a truly pathetic burnt-out junkie that's just incredibly painful to watch and which leads all too naturally into footage of his dead body being photographed by the police. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Enter into this biopic with more than a few grains of salt. There is also a movie with Dustin Hoffman about Lenny, called 'Lenny', which is very fictional... this documentary about Lenny Bruce, especially if you love comedy and the history of it, and what Mrs. Maisel's character represents... it's almost like she's a female Lenny. I wanted to see more on Lenny's life, and hear about his various legal battles in greater detail. Enjoyed the perspectives from other comedians. Reviewed in the United States on August 10, 2018. The film, for the most part, lets us see him without editorial commentary; without the obvious manipulation of cuts, angles, artifice. This isn't a slick documentary, but that's not the point. Goldman's book is far better then this film, ruined outright by Dustin Hoffman's inability to get out of Ratso Rizzo/Midnight Cowboy mode. I think it did. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. I don't like being called Mister Bruce because Bruce is my middle name and not my last. As the first documentary about Lenny it was very good . I also highly recommend the book Honey about his wife who was truly fascinating. My knowledge of Lenny before watching this was only average and not expecting much the film surpassed my expectations. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. There is an extended segment on Don Imus that seemed unnecessary and will likely be a curiosity to people watching this years from now wondering who he is. Bob Fosse was a talented director who sadly died too soon. What Bob Fosse’s 1974 biopic of taboo-breaking stand-up comedian Lenny Bruce may lack in terms of cinematic innovation, it makes up for as an important social statement of the times (essentially, the 1960s). So that the water dripped out. The documentary operates very well on this level. It glosses over his less noble aspects. He could have been great! He needed a manager who could control him. The performances from Dustin Hoffman and Valerie Perrine are what gives the film its humanity and tragedy. To watch his mind work. Basically it's a compliation of old bits that he did on television and they're not very funny. I didn't feel like I wasted my time watching this documentary... but now I'm in the mood to watch a substantial doc on Lenny's history. It really put you into the moments which even though maybe distasteful at times were done very real and let the viewers open the screen and climb inside the story. As the first documentary about Lenny it was very good. This is the first time I've ever given anything one star. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Lenny Bruce Documentary (2011) Documental subtitulado en español Addeddate 2013-10-13 19:43:22 Color color Identifier LennyBruceDocumentary2011 Scanner Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.4.1 Sound sound Year 2011 Trash. This is an interesting documentary, but it feels like a very brief introduction to Lenny Bruce himself. Classic Film by Bob Fosse about a Classic comedian!!! If you love Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, you will love this, Reviewed in the United States on January 3, 2019. He was the one guy rowing the wrong way on an Ivy League Crew. He may of been breaking new ground, but I watched it and still have no idea how Bruce influenced comedians up to today, doing barely coherent rants. Great directing and great acting. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Unless you lived through the 60's as an adult, there was really no narrative or context to help understand his style, or persecution beyond what was presented, which were barely coherent rants. Publication date 2011 Topics Lenny Bruce, Freedom of Speech. The black and white photography is breathtaking. Rentals include 30 days to start watching this video and 48 hours to finish once started. Basically it's a compliation of old bits that he did on television and they're not very funny. Quickly browse titles in our catalog based on the ones you have picked. Co-stars Valerie Perrine. I watched this because I am also Mr. Bruce, Reviewed in the United States on December 7, 2018. Reviewed in the United States on April 20, 2018. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 8, 2015. Lenny Bruce's outrageous, anti-social, hilarious act is well portrayed in this interview documentary of those who knew him. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. I recommed a documentary titled Lenny Bruce: Without Tears or his Performance film to see the real Lenny … There are some good moments & interesting conversations in this documentary, though very little of Lenny performing. A brilliant film. I guess you had to be from that generation to appreciate his humor. The final image of the film never fails to evoke a few tears. Excelent. To watch his mind work. I’m sorry he was so misunderstood. I would have enjoyed hearing more from Kitty Bruce, Mort Sahl, Shelley Berman, and the people that knew him. I was intrigued, and Lenny Bruce is an intriguing figure, but because he is before my time, I really didn't understand the context for much of the film. If you don't have problems playing Region 2 discs, or know how to use software fixes to play them, then I highly recommend this French Blu-Ray/DVD combo release. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.

How To Build A Catapult That Shoots 100 Meters, French Bulldog Puppies Cincinnati, Pixie Dust 5e, Ufc 239 Ppv Buys, Rust Crafting Skins, Michael Rennie Was Ill, Call The Midwife Season 5 Episode 10,

Добавить комментарий

Ваш адрес email не будет опубликован. Обязательные поля помечены *