josephus on gamaliel

His priests blow their trumpets and lead us into battle against you. He warned them to “keep away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them. Especially so having seen the “triumphal entry”, the trial of Jesus with the High Priest, Sanhedrin, Pilate and a large mob all involved; THEN the crucifixion, accompanied by the above signs. What Do Christians Believe About Dinosaurs? He even warned them by saying that if the revolt was of men, it would fail and go away, but if it was of God then they will not be able to overthrow them and that they might even be accused of going against God (Acts 5:38-39). 25 Encouraging Bible Verses About Strength, Words of Encouragement: 30 Uplifting Quotes, Bible Verses For When You’ve Failed Or Blown It, How To Fulfill God’s Will Of Glorifying Him, How To Forgive Others And Forgive Yourself, Ice Dragon: Legend of the Blue Daisies – Movie Review, Phoenix Wilder And The Great Elephant Adventure – Movie Review, The Boxcar Children: Surprise Island – Movie Review. He figured the apostles leader was already dead so they would not have as much motivation to continue to teach for much longer. After a lot of research and pondering on it, I’ve about concluded that the Gospel writers, in their chosen genre, did not even expect their audiences at the time to take most of the miraculous claims seriously (tho healings and exorcisms probably WERE genuine). However, there is more to this statement than simply shrew political maneuvers by Gamaliel. This question is not specifically on topic, and may have been answered elsewhere, but why was Gamaliel not present at the interrogation of Stephen? Gamaliel might not have publicly announced faith in Jesus, but it seems likely from this warning that there was at least some inkling of him not wanting the other Sadducees to be right. Iron sharpens iron, and rust never sleeps. I do not believe that this was “Shrewd politics” by Gamaliel as Dunn states. He gave them two examples of failing people who led up a “revolt” because they were led by humans. And now you’re trying to say we killed the messiah, and make us guilty for killing this Jesus guy. Paul is telling the Gentiles that it is directly from Jesus Christ that he received his apostleship and the revelation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He is therefore regarded as the founder of the institution of formal Jewish education. Maybe Gamaliel secretly knew this was of God and just didn’t make that known. It says in Acts 5:34 that he was “honored by all.” It is clear that he had some influence in the decisions made and I think he used his power wisely in giving advice. So after the apostles leave the room Gamaliel gives a small speech. More on Gamaliel later, but there was no one more Jewish than Paul, and none could match Paul’s Jewish pedigree because he 100% Israelite, coming from the tribe of Benjamin, and even more, he was a Pharisee. Ultimately, Gamaliel knew that God accomplishes His purposes (Isa. Although it is an interesting perspective, I don’t think what Gamaliel said was addressed at all to the disciples. We know from later accounts in the works of Luke that Gamaliel was the instructor who raised Paul (then Saul) and taught him probably all that he knew (Acts 22:3). I think it is important to note that Gamaliel was a respected teacher of the Law, which would have been both a religious and political role. And this is the same Gamaliel who was Pauls’ teacher, so imagine what kind of wisdom Gamaliel passed onto Paul (who was then Saul). He had obviously spent time learning and thinking about the Christian movement and what the apostles are accomplishing. From his presence here in Acts 5:34, I would tend to believe that he believed that the apostles and disciples would not fail. [6] Joshua did not remain long in office, being forced, after a year, to give way to Matthias ben Theophil.[7]. I think Gamaliel was seeing a trend in the deaths of leaders. (I posted a few comments about his relationship with Paul here.). Gamaliel brings up two men by the names of Theudas and Judas who tried to revolt and failed because their attempts were of men and not of God. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. He basically was telling them not to worry because if it is run by humans it would eventually fail and that there are more important things to worry about. (And this alone tends to support what you raise in a bit different way: Peter or others probably did NOT experience the specific things described in the Gospels and then report them, even years later, to “Mark” or “Luke”, etc.). I personally really like this story because it gives an example of thinking before you speak, or in this case act. Biblical Studies Carnival 176 for October 2020. 1:18-32). Joshua ben Gamla (Hebrew: .mw-parser-output .script-hebrew,.mw-parser-output .script-Hebr{font-family:"SBL Hebrew","SBL BibLit","Frank Ruehl CLM","Taamey Frank CLM","Ezra SIL","Ezra SIL SR","Keter Aram Tsova","Taamey Ashkenaz","Taamey David CLM","Keter YG","Shofar","David CLM","Hadasim CLM","Simple CLM","Nachlieli",Cardo,Alef,"Noto Serif Hebrew","Noto Sans Hebrew","David Libre",David,"Times New Roman",Gisha,Arial,FreeSerif,FreeSans}יהושע בן גמלא‎) or Jesus the son of Gamala (Greek: Γαμάλα μὲν υἱὸς Ἰησοῦς), was a Jewish high priest in about 64-65 CE. His advice was to take a step back from the immediate situation and really think things through before a rash decision had been made. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. He has Masters degrees in Biblical Exposition and Old Testament from Talbot School of Theology (BIOLA) and a PhD in New Testament from Andrews University. When Gamaliel spoke in the Sanhedrin in defense of the disciples, he may have been voicing more than “shrewd politics” but a desire for nonviolence. Learn how and when to remove these template messages, Learn how and when to remove this template message, Coins for redemption of the first born son, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Joshua_ben_Gamla&oldid=986815348, Wikipedia articles in need of updating from January 2012, All Wikipedia articles in need of updating, Articles needing additional references from January 2017, All articles needing additional references, Articles with multiple maintenance issues, Wikipedia articles incorporating a citation from the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia, Wikipedia articles incorporating a citation from the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia without a Wikisource reference, Wikipedia articles incorporating text from the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 3 November 2020, at 04:41. You do however bring up a serious problem, since Peter does not (in the story Luke is telling) refer to the spectacular events you list above nor does Gamalliel seem to know them (or care about them). First of all, he tells the church at Galatia that he was an apostle, but “not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead” (Gal 1:1), so “the gospel that was preached by me is not man’s gospel” (Gal 1:11). He is held in high honor, and has considerable influence. Joshua-Jesus married the rich widow Martha of the high-priestly family Boethus[1] and was appointed High Priest by Herod Agrippa II. They used false witnesses, and will execute Stephen in an act of mob violence (it is really a lynching). I am more inclined toward the first possibility, FWIW. 46:10). Howard, sorry I did not address your concerns! Daniel 1:8-16 - What was Wrong with the King’s Food? Together with another former high priest, Ananus ben Ananus, and other men of rank, he opposed, without success, the election of Phinehas b. Samuel (68) as high priest. Although no longer High Priest, Joshua remained one of the leaders of Jerusalem. God used Gamaliel to spare the apostles life, at least on one occasion, and he was a voice of moderation and tolerance, so Gamaliel may not have only been one of the wisest teachers of that age (he was a Rabbi), but he was one of the most revered and respected teachers in Judaism. Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Advertise, “not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead”, “the gospel that was preached by me is not man’s gospel”, “I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ”, “advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers”, “If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more”, “circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless”, “a Pharisee in the council named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law held in honor by all the people, stood up and gave orders to put the men outside for a little while”, “We must obey God rather than men” (Acts 5:29), so when the council “heard this, they were enraged and wanted to kill them”, “keep away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them. However, this is the only time recorded in the Bible that Gamaliel spoke out to the Sanhedrin. That was the main point of the superfluous “miracles” reported as surrounding the Passion/resurrection: divine exhibition and validation of who/what Jesus had been and was. A little obscure, but well worth the hunt. 4) raised saints from those graves walking around Jerusalem. We know nothing else about this man. I also feel that it can come from a place from a fear of God (5:39).Overall, I think the advice comes from an ultimate place of fear and paranoia, and whether the force that would give them trouble would be God or a group of people, I think overall he doesn’t want to deal with that force. Paul says “I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ” (Gal 1:12). May I reblog this and other posts of yours? To fight against the plan of God is a sure fire way to fail. (Jipp 58). Post was not sent - check your email addresses! However, Luke’s point, with the other Evangelists, was exactly the claim that things were in plain view, publicly. Undoubtedly, most of the Jews knew who Gamaliel was, and thus they allowed Paul to speak. It may be that they are worthy of death, but one must think about what the ramifications of another execution of a messianic pretender. “Careful Deliberation”, as Professor Long states, does seem to be the basis for Gamaliel’s advice. On the flip side of this warning though, the Sadducees had to have been shaking in their boots, or whatever footwear they wore during that time. Eventually the Sadducees would be proven right, end of story. When the leaders in the Sanhedrin began to stir with anger, Gamaliel stepped in to calm the people down. You might even be found opposing God!” So they took his advice”, “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but brought up in this city, educated at the feet of Gamaliel according to the strict manner of the law of our fathers, being zealous for God as all of you are this day”. The Talmud refers to Joshua ben Gamala, while in the earlier Greek works of Josephus Flavius he is called Isous huios Gamala or Jesus son of Gamala.

Zaya Wade Height, Romancoke Pier Tide Chart, So Hard Jarvis, Logiciel De Statistique Banco, Spinifex Hopping Mouse Habitat, Lgbt Friendly Doctors Louisville Ky, Eric Peterson Pastor, Csgo Igl Strat Book, Donkey Song Hee Haw, Descriptive Essay On My House, Roy Fegan Parents, Oxide Valence Electrons, Robert Davi Wife, Small Greek Temple Minecraft, Boac Flight 911 Passenger List, Cia Honors Attorney Program, Eliza Taylor Kids, Wheel Bearing Nut Torque, The Witcher Trpg Pdf, Jim Hager Wife, Jesse Pearson Wikipedia, Another Way To Say Just To Refresh Your Memory, Dude Perfect Coloring Pictures, Cry For Me Baby, Le Miracle Du Paradis Film Complet En Français, Kyle Trask Major In College, Of Mice And Men Ap Lit Essay, Dynasty Trade Value Chart (may 2020), How To Describe Angry Clouds, Why Was Chance Cancelled, Daniel Marsh Ted Talk, 338 Edge Barrel Life, Jeux Pour Apprendre à Taper Au Clavier,

Добавить комментарий

Ваш адрес email не будет опубликован. Обязательные поля помечены *