With the end of SEMTA commuter rail service to Downtown Detroit in 1983 GTW abandoned and sold its trackage from the Milwaukee Junction area to downtown Detroit. The GTW/CN rail car ferry service was the last to operate in the Great Lakes when it ended operations on the St Clair River in 1995.. 56 from Muskegon to Detroit is 4-6-2 No. 5634. It would take control of the Michigan Air-Line Railway through a lease in 1881. 8380 and its eleven sisters in class P-5-g were erected by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1929. It reads, "Eastward track will be used as Single track Between facing point Crossover Bellevue and regular Crossover located at Switchtenders Shanty East End Nichols Yard Seven Oclock 700 am until Five O'clock 500 pm. The GP9s were rebuilt by GTW's Battle Creek locomotive shops into GP9Rs with improved internal components and modern low-nose cabs.  The ships required a crew of 34 and with strengthened ice-breaking hauls operated year-round. GTW was also part of a group that created and shared ownership in the Belt Railway Company of Chicago that connects every rail line in the Chicago area. To see a list of Grand Trunk Western locomotives as of 1938-1942, most of which were still active in the early 1950s, visit our GTW Roster. , By 1900 Grand Trunk would unite the operations of the Chicago and Grand Trunk Railway and all of its lines in Michigan, Illinois and Indiana under a subsidiary company called the Grand Trunk Western Railway Company. Several interlocking and crossing gate towers were also maintained by GTW through its history.  On Chicago's south side GTW's Elsdon Yard served as its primary yard and locomotive facility there since the railroad laid tracks into the city in the 1880s. The Southern Pacific's Daylights and the Norfolk & Western's Class J series were outstanding examples.  6325 rests on the bridge over the Battle Creek River in the summer of 1952, waiting for the highball to proceed westward. 3523 at the GTW's Battle Creek shops in the summer of 1953 she was awaiting repairs. With new management the railroad implemented a new strategy to market shippers and improve its performance. Bellevue was still served by a part-time operator, and although passenger trains no longer stopped at our village of 1,000 between Battle Creek and Charlotte, there was some freight business. GTW and Milwaukee Road would enter into a voluntary coordination agreement where GTW would direct more of its shipments over the Milwaukee Road's route. At left is a dramatic low-angle shot of 4-8-4 No. Rail Trails. The complex was developed on the site of the former Stroh's Brewery near downtown Detroit. Original model by Ben Neal, reskin by Nictrain123. 8380, it turns out, was also one of this legendary group and operated until December 1980. 6400-6404 of parent Canadian National. 2683 at Bellevue, from the summer of 1953, reveals the careful maintenance the Grand Trunk Western applied to even its older locomotives. 8346 of class P-5-e was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1927 and weighed 211,200 pounds. GTW 6228, a GP38-2 at Senatobia, Mississippi on December 4, 2006, would just after this receive new paint in the CN colors. CN also reintegrated managerial and some operational control of GTW as it would gradually shift out of Detroit and into CN headquarters in Montreal.  An unusual feature of No. 4070 was then acquired by the Midwest Railway Preservation Society for use on its Cuyahoga Valley Line. It was relegated to loading and unloading freight cars from GTW ferries in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. DGH&M initially had agreements with ferry companies operating on Lake Michigan to transfer its passengers and freight onto ships bound for Milwaukee from Grand Haven, Michigan. No. Above, sister No. These Lima-built locomotives closely resembled Nos. Actually, these engines had been converted from 2-8-2s by amputating the pilot truck. Beginning in 1905 it co-owned equal shares of the Detroit Terminal Railroad with New York Central (NYC). Their 26x30-inch cylinders, supplied by 200 pounds per square inch of boiler pressure, produced a tractive effort of 54,724 pounds. The railroad's first major line abandonment came in 1951 when it abandoned about half of the former Toledo, Saginaw and Muskegon Railway line from Muskegon to Greenville, Michigan. 8380, above. Operator Bellevue and Switchtender Nichols yard will handle Crossover Switches. This photo is also in Quastler's Where the Rails Cross. During the 1970s and 1980s Grand Trunk Western would continue to improve its efficiency and embark on efforts to improve its operating ratio. Text and photo images©2013 Richard Leonard.  GTR sought to put together a route by acquiring three railroads it had already been sending some of its Chicago bound trains on since 1877. 6039 on display at Steamtown in 1962, when it was headquartered in New Hampshire. The Canadian Government nationalized Grand Trunk and other financially troubled Canadian rail companies by 1923 and amalgamated them into the new government owned entity, the Canadian National Railway. 6313 and 6333.  It was also common for GTW and CN to share steam and diesel locomotives when either of them was in need of extra motive power. 6313, above, as she pauses with the mid-afternoon Inter-City Limited in the summer of 1953. The Herron video/DVD Glory Machines of the Grand Trunk Western features a helicopter chase of the modified No.  In 1978 it discontinued its Lake Michigan railcar ferry operations after consecutive years of financial losses over $1 million. After photographing this engine in 1953, I saw 0-8-2s operating in the yards at Durand, Michigan. Locomotive #4070, an S-3-a 2-8-2 Light Mikado appeared in the 1984 film The Natural and is now stored in Cleveland, Ohio. , Grand Trunk Western sought to further expand its trackage by seeking to purchase one of the bankrupt Midwest railroads, the Milwaukee Road or the Rock Island, of the 1970s. Although the 4-8-4 was a popular dual-service locomotive, only a few railroads applied streamlining or semi-streamlining to this wheel arrangement. During the more than 130 years of rail car ferry operations on the Detroit and St. Clair rivers all the major railroads, including Michigan Central, Pere Marquette, Wabash and Canadian Pacific, had ferry operations on the Detroit River. The photo was taken during a station stop at Pontiac, Michigan, in May, 1954. 6039, now at Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, Pennsylvania. These engines weighted 224,100 pounds and exerted a modest (by later standards) 34,000 pounds of tractive effort. Three are park displays in Michigan, they include Baldwin built Pacific 4-6-2s at Durand and Jackson and an 0-6-0 at Sidney Montcalm Community College Heritage Village. on the February 10, 1948 episode of, Photo of Grand Trunk Ferry crossing the Detroit River, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Grand_Trunk_Western_Railroad&oldid=986251878, Former Class I railroads in the United States, Companies operating former Grand Trunk Railway lines, Railroads in the Chicago Switching District, Non-operating common carrier freight railroads in the United States, Articles with dead external links from September 2017, Articles with permanently dead external links, Articles with dead external links from July 2014, Articles containing potentially dated statements from 2012, All articles containing potentially dated statements, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, 1928–present (still exists as a paper corporation), Chicago, Detroit and Canada Grand Trunk Junction Railroad, Peninsular Railway of Michigan and Indiana, This page was last edited on 30 October 2020, at 18:24. That line was the former route to Brush Street Station and its railcar ferry dock on the Detroit River. It was taken from a car pacing on a parallel highway, evidently by Tom Miller of Toledo, Ohio. However, since 1991 CN gradually retired, sold or applied its own paint scheme to GTW locomotives. However, as the Milwaukee Road became more successful two other potential bidders, the Soo Line Railroad and the Chicago and North Western Railway, petitioned the ICC to purchase the railroad. The Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois has #6323, a U-3-b class 4-8-4, and #8380, a P-5-g class 0-8-0, as part of its collection. Probably the lowliest assignment given to these engines was work train service, almost always a task relegated to obsolete or surplus power even today. This class had a grate area of 67 square feet, 3785 square feet of evaporative heating surface, and 880 square feet of superheater surface. But on this summer day in 1951 it was Pacific 5030, on a break-in run after repairs at the Battle Creek shops, which did the honors. GTR would lease the Chicago, Detroit and Canada Grand Trunk Junction Railroad to reach Detroit and from there would then run over the Michigan Central Railroad's line from Detroit into Chicago. "reprinting of The History of the GTW Mainline from Port Huron to Chicago, Cleland B. Wyllie, The Inside Track, Sept. 1972", "orchard-trail-news-2008-Smr-1.pdf Platz, Richard. The GP38AC was the first version to be purchased by GTW which had an alternating current alternator instead of the typical direct current generator. 56 from Muskegon to Detroit is 4-6-2 No. 6325 also remains and was restored to service by the late Jerry Jacobson and the Ohio Central Railroad. In this view the valve gear and main rod are disconnected, which in the 1950s was usually a sign that the locomotive was on its way to the scrap yard. 5629 we find her at the Durand diamonds during the summer of 1954, waiting to proceed south into the depot with No.  On PRR's request, GTW moved its Michigan docks to Muskegon, Michigan in 1937 where its subsidiary the Muskegon Railway and Navigation Company initially operated ferry loading and switching operations. It purchased N&W's share in April 1981 for $1.9 million and completely merged the line into GTW later that same year. 6329 during the summer of 1953, including the one below in which the 4-8-4 pauses just east of Bellevue with an eastbound movement. The line connected with the Chicago, Detroit and Canada Grand Trunk Junction at Richmond, Michigan and ran to Jackson, Michigan through Romeo and Pontiac.