15 vs 16 inch wheels

the type of tire determines how smooth it is. But I live in the Northeast US. Keeping the overall tire diameter roughly the same is crucial to keeping the gearing the same and the speedometer accurate, as well as for making sure the wheels and tires fit within the fenders. We used the stock steel wheels for the 15-inch test and went to the aftermarket for the larger wheels, as most owners would do. Most of these advantages can be found by dropping to a 16" wheel. tires and wheels, 2020-2021 Land Rover Range Rover Sport: Recall Alert, Ford Bronco Overland Concept: An Off-the-Beaten-Path Bronco … Way Off, 2020 Lexus UX 250h Review: An Efficient Pseudo-SUV. We do know that the heavy, 19-inch setup suffered from the most impact harshness and seemed to tax the suspension the most. Bigger wheels cost more money. A 16" wheel will not only be cheaper and lighter, but it will lower the rotating mass and increase turn-in capabilities and agility as a result. Some 15's look like they stick out too much with stock flares. Anyone in New Jersey that can help me with a CDL question? We’d guess that a W-rated Eagle GT in the 17-inch size would come close to matching the grip of the W-rated 18, but we can’t say for certain without testing. 15s definitely clear the brakes. One thing nobody has mentioned is that smaller wheels are lighter and thus (assuming you don't go with a much heavier tire), you will be saving some unsprung weight. Personally I find 16" wheels to be fastest setup, as do a lot of track and autocross racers. ex: i own two h2's one has big off road tires but because it is an off road tire it rides rough on a 17 inch rim. give me your pros and cons of each, please and thank you. Check out FiestaForum's "Wheels & Tires" section. You’ll get more sidewall with the 15” if you’re looking for that. service Or am I mistake. A steel wheel weighs more than an aluminum alloy wheel, so the latter enhances performance by reducing the unsprung weight. For example, when Cars.com compared the replacement costs of some wheels and tires, a standard 16-inch steel wheel for a Toyota Camry was $172 to replace at a dealership. In contrast, the two smallest wheel-and-tire combos showed a propensity for more understeer on the skidpad but provided a more controlled and supple ride. Thanks, Mike Thanx! Access them anywhere. I just wonder if people go with 16 because it’s a good mix of sidewall for off-road but performs closer to stock in normal driving on highways vs a 15 inch? go with what the factory put on the car. Please share your love for the XV, post DIY mods, travel logs, and other awesome things you do with your car. Get your answers by asking now. Plus-Size Models: Testing the performance effects of upsizing wheels and tires. To examine the effects of installing larger wheels and tires, also known as “plus-sizing,” we tested five wheel-and-tire combinations—ranging from 15 to 19 inches—on a 2010 Volkswagen Golf and got a good sense of what is gained and lost in the process. If the overall outside diameter of the tire AND wheel changes, the speedometer will not read correctly, and possibly the tires will rub the wheel wells of the vehicle. You’ll get more sidewall with the 15” if you’re looking for that. Right now it's 108F with 100% humidity, then we have a normal fall, and then get snow in the winter, etc. Most often than not you will find the smaller diameter to have more advantages to performance than the larger oem will. 16 inch is getting difficult to find tires for. Pros & Cons of 16 Inch Vs. 17 Inch Automobile Wheels by MJ Knoblock . If you buy larger wheels as part of an option package on a new vehicle, or get them as standard equipment on a higher trim level, the initial cost may not be that high. ? I'm thinking about moving down a size, but am not sure. And although it didn’t register on the dBA-meter, the 15- and 16-inch arrangements had a more pleasant sound quality than the larger tires. Within the confines of stock upgrades, few issues are so contentious as "upgrading" from stock 15-inch wheels to 16-inch models, and for good reason. More sidewall means more sidewall flex but I’m not sure that will impact typical driving. I want some more sidewall as I like to go off-roading with it and want to put some ko2’s on it. When I was shopping for tires, I was told that BFG KO2's were discontinued in 215/70R16. I run a set of Bridgstone Potenza RE71R for autocross competitions. Do you get any rubbing at stock height? 15 vs 16 inch WHEELS. By matching lower-profile tire sizing to larger-diameter wheel size, speedometer and odometer readings should change only a little, if at all. Tires factor, weight factors, offset factors, etc. Not OP, but just wanted to say that I enjoy reading all your posts in this subreddit. Let's take my autocross set, for example. But replacing a standard 17-inch alloy wheel with an 18- or 19-inch alloy rim will add weight — unless it’s an expensive, lightweight type. If you are concerned about looks, so yes, the higher diameter wheel will look better, having same tyre specifications. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments. If there is one good reason for 16-inch tires, it's that they may provide extra clearance for those who wish to run larger and more powerful brakes. On a Mini Cooper I would definitely go with the 17's with the most cushioned tire you can find, such as Micheline or Pirelli. ok, me and my dad are arguing over rim and tire sizes for the mini cooper. well. Am I basically understanding this correctly? On my daily wheels I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on me oem Fiesta ST wheels. I have the option to buy a set of 15 inch alloy wheels of a N-reg convertible. steering and suspension Oh, and bigger tyres cost more too. I searched around this sub and haven't really found a thread dedicated to this topic. Cookies help us deliver our Services. And although it didn’t register on the dBA-meter, the 15- and 16-inch arrangements had a more pleasant sound quality than the larger tires. Assuming that the tires used have the same diameter, 16-inch rims will shorten the distance from rim to tread, reducing the tire's sidewall height relative to its width (aspect ratio). They are heavier, increase my gearing ratio, and have a much larger rotating mass. I run one of each size and I can tell you that a lot more goes into this choice than simply size. I'm sure there's other factors but that's what I was told, and the differences are minute too so don't worry about it. For example, the engineers on the Lotus Elise, which is all about handling, wanted 15 and 16 inch wheels (for less unsprung weight) on the front and rear, respectively, but the marketing guys made them go with 16 and 17 inch wheels because they "looked better". This makes for a faster rotating wheel, which equates in quicker acceleration, better contact with the surface of the road, improved braking, and easier turning. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. 15” size is equal to the stock 18” as far as overall wheel size but the 16” is within 1%. And although it didn’t register on the dBA-meter, the 15- and 16-inch arrangements had a more pleasant sound quality than the larger tires. i say that 15 inch rims would provide a smoother ride, because the tire is thicker. CARS.COM — Larger wheels give cars a more aggressive stance and greater stage presence, which is why automakers install king-size rims on concept cars. A 17-inch alloy wheel … How to complain about a establishment taking parking spaces off the street.. If you have an ideal off road tire that works with that size then go nuts. Personally I find 16" wheels to be fastest setup, as do a lot of track and autocross racers. If you change to larger wheels without taking sidewall height into consideration, you not only run the risk of damaging the suspension, wheels or tires, you’ll also get incorrect speedometer readings because the wheels are turning at a different speed than before. 15 inches is really small. The shorter the sidewall, the better a car will handle, due to less lateral stretch - IE; the tire tread surface will not lean out away from the center line of the wheel as much while cornering, but the trade off is that the ride will be rougher, because there is less air space between the tread and the wheel to absorb the bumps in the road. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. How do you think about the answers? I've got mud flaps on and they don't rub. I have a tread width of 7.1" on the RE71R vs the 7.6" on the RE050A, but I am not only faster, but better handling despite having a half an inch less tread. Post Reply. Just wondering what the pros are. I plan on doing suspension mods vs lift in the future so I wasn't trying to change diameter and ruin any of the limited up travel we have. While larger-diameter wheels and tires should improve handling and high-speed performance, lower-profile tires also tend to have a firmer ride and may be noisier than the smaller, standard rubber. Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Tacogray, Apr 14, 2012. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. A lot like r/subaru, but specific to the XV Crosstrek. If you were to go down a size or two with the wheels, will you notice any loss in performance/handling? but for a mini cooper you dont wanna go too big. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of doing a 215/75/15 setup vs a 215/70/16 set up. The standard offset for trailer wheels is zero to keep the load on the trailer centered on the tire. Save cars. Generally speaking as the wheel gets larger the tire must have a smaller (shorter) sidewall, in order to keep the overall outside diameter the same. so i say go with the 16 for a nice sleek look which isnt that small, and make sure you get nice tires if you want a smooth ride. Are used cars owned by rental companies usually beat up badly? For an 18-inch alloy wheel on a Chevrolet Traverse, one dealer quoted us a price of $371, but for an optional 20-inch wheel, the price was $569. An 18-inch tire, for example, will probably weigh at least a couple of pounds more than a 16- or 17-inch tire. If we then look at the 29” wheel, its axle will be 1.5” higher. I went with 15s because I wanted taller sidewalls, I think it looks better, and in my experience off road tires are much more availabile in 15" than 16". Weight is the main reason I went to 16" wheels. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. If it’s acceleration you’re after, stick with the smaller, lighter wheels and tires. I don't live in a place where it snows anymore but if I did I would probably go with 16" wheels for the winter tires and keep the 17" wheels for the summer. And remember, unless you believe it is better to look good than to feel good, take our advice and stay away from extremely low-profile sidewalls and massively heavy wheels. Will 17 even fit on a cooper? Some potential performance benefits may be offset by the additional weight of the larger tires and wheels. Neither is a huge surprise, but we measured a 10-percent drop in fuel economy and a four-percent degradation in 0-to-60-mph acceleration from the 15s to the 19s, which is worth considering should you be thinking about “going big.” Increasing wheel diameter and width, in turn, requires wider tires with shorter and stiffer sidewalls, which we found will increase skidpad grip, but as our test shows, there is a limit to this assertion. For more information on plus-sizing and details on what will and won't fit your car, call the folks at Tire Rack (800-981-3782) or visit tirerack.com. Bigger might rub the inner fender. I went with 215/65R16 with no lift. For everything you need to know about buying and maintaining tires, click here. They are 24.3" in diameter, which equates almost an entire inch of gain. It's similar to an R compound. I run a 205/45/r16 size for a total diameter of 23.2" of overall diameter. Running a set of old Ford Contour wheels with Hakkapeliittas and plastidip for winter. I wish some of the 15 inch rims were offered with the 16 inch rim backspacing. The 19-inch wheels definitely look the coolest. 15” is a small wheel compared to the stock size it depends what you are using it for. But, as the wheels get larger and the tires get thinner you begin to feel more and more bumps.

Make Your Own Hangman, Copenhagen Tobacco Factory Tour, Match Of The Day 2 Live Stream, Forsyth County Warrants, Hook For Essay About Dogs, 1:1 Replica Shoes, Paul Pogba Father, Story Behind Joy Unspeakable, Steven Kozlowski How Did He Die, Riparian Plaza Residential, Asg Mk23 Hop Up, Amy King Kfi, Fortnite Sniper Trickshot Map Code, Boing Boing Sound, Komondor For Sale Bc, Ashwini Meaning In Astrology, Jean Hale Net Worth, Review The Structure Of Dna Worksheet Answers, Land For Sale Acacia Botanic Ridge, Pelican Kayak Reviews, Prediction Score Exact, Costco Chicken Burger Calories, Igpx Immortal Grand Prix Episode 1, Stay Trippy Little Hippie Meaning In English, 9 Weeks Pregnant No Heartbeat Seen But Embryo Still Growing, Turkey Twizzlers Wiki, Karl Tessler Wikipedia, Writing Equations From Word Problems Worksheet, Videos Of Infected Sores Abscesses Being Drained, Ori And The Blind Forest Misty Woods Green Lasers, Jeremy Applegate Christina Applegate, Faro Board For Sale, Star Wars: Attack Revenge Of The Sith Full Movie, Short Neck Lute 3 Letters, Is Felice Bastianich Alive, Wandering Reviver Weakness, Copper Bus Bar Ampacity Calculator In Mm, Alabama Lake House, Stacey Dash Instagram, The Byzantine Empire And Emerging Europe Quizlet, How To Check A Horse's Pulse For Laminitis, How To Unlock Spawn In Injustice 2, Emily Wexler Dance, What Is A Complex Relationship Literature, Frankie Magazine Font, Group Homes For Troubled Youth Near Me,

Добавить комментарий

Ваш адрес email не будет опубликован. Обязательные поля помечены *